From: Frank Schafer <frank.schafer@×××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why autoconf in system?
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:53:25
1 On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 08:41 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Monday 12 September 2005 08:26 am, Frank Schafer wrote:
3 > > we meet often the (faulty) notion that autoconf/automake (even a couple
4 > > of versions on gentoo) is a dependency for packages.
5 >
6 > not quite sure what you mean by 'faulty', autoconf/automake is used heavily
7 > throughout portage
8 >
9 > > I'd suggest to remove the build of autoconf/automake from ``emerge
10 > > system''. I'd leave all of the autoconf/automake versions in portage
11 > > tough for the case someone wants to involve in development of some
12 > > package.
13 >
14 > it wouldnt matter, coreutils for example would still need it which means it
15 > would show up in `emerge system`
16 > -mike
17
18 Hi, as I mentioned, I built LFS without this (and I have coreutils on
19 it ;)
20
21 Not at all - if we need to modify or create configure files during build
22 as Paul and Martin said ... we need autoconf/automake
23
24 Thanks for clarification.
25
26 Frank