From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: GPL stuff with binary modules - FSF ruling
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:29:30
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 01:08:10PM +0200, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
4 > > Heads up to nvidia users... If you use nvidia-glx and a hardened profile
5 > > it's going to be package.masked
6 > does it have to be that drastic? how about CONFIG_CHECK="~PAX_NOELFRELOCS"
7 > in the ebuilds?
8
9 I think users should decide which level of security they need. Choice
10 between 'don't use hardened' or 'don't use nvidia drivers' sounds very
11 undesirable.
12
13 For example, I don't use nvidia drivers, but I use ati drivers - which
14 require Xorg compiled with vanilla gcc. :-( I prefer to have at home
15 hardened system with some weak places (Xorg compiled with vanilla gcc;
16 some paxctl/chpax for mplayer/xine/xmms/skype) than have no hardened at all.
17
18 And this isn't just question of trading performance to security: I need
19 ati drivers because core Xorg driver doesn't support TvOUT and because
20 core Xorg driver too slow to support quick switching between virtual
21 desktops (my X configured to simulate text console environment with
22 switching between full-screen xterm's running in different virtual
23 desktops using Alt-Fx). So this is question of trading [critical]
24 functionality to security, not just performance.
25
26 But, as far as I understand, it isn't "that drastic" because user can just
27 unmask nvidia drivers and continue using both hardened and nvidia drivers..?
30 WBR, Alex.
31 --
32 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list