From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 22:15:43
On Friday 03 December 2004 22:56, David Longo wrote:
> I agree with you on that, but I think that in order to appeal to the > less...linux saavy, or to gain the support of those good with > computers but new to linux, I think a clean gui would be nice in a > different edition maybe. Maybe have on livecd for enterprise, cut and > dry automation, nothing special. And then have a livecd for first > time users or home users, that has a more fedora type install with the > slideshow and with a "What kind of system would you like?" I mean, > maybe I'm thinking of the wrong audience, but I always thought gentoo > was for everyone...not just those who need enterprise functionality...
I don't know whether we should want to cater first-time linux users. I certainly wouldn't recommend gentoo to first-time users. The gentoo focus is on more savvy users and there is plenty to break in gentoo, and the environment doesn't invite point-and-click users either. In any case gentoo started out as a distribution for power users. Gradually more people started using gentoo. Besides many more power users that included system admins (enterprise users) and less savvy users. Let it be clear that everyone who finds gentoo usefull for himself is more than welcome to use it, but we shouldn't try to focus on being a beginners distro as we're not, and doing so would alienate the core group of people (our user base, the people who man the forum, the community) who make gentoo what it is. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage:

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-installer] Pretty Slideshow Geoff <geoff@×××××××××××.net>