From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-nfp@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] Questions For Gentoo Foundation Trustee Candidates
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 19:59:27
1 On 2019.07.13 20:03, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 16:50 +0100, Roy Bamford wrote:
3 > > On 2019.07.13 14:39, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > On Sat, 2019-07-13 at 06:17 -0700, Raymond Jennings wrote:
5 > > > > What are your plans regarding future relations between the
6 > trustees
7 > > > and the
8 > > > > council? I noted that the council isn't even mentioned in the
9 > > > bylaws
10 > > >
11 > > > I've answered this in detail in my Manifesto [1].
12 > > >
13 > > > Long story short, I believe the distribution should be
14 > self-governing,
15 > > > and Foundation should support it without interfering
16 > unnecessarily.
17 > > > This means that Council makes the majority of the decisions
18 > regarding
19 > > > Gentoo, and Trustees should work with the Council and respect
20 > > > the decisions made by it.
21 > > >
22 > > > [1] https://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/trustee-manifesto-2019.txt
23 > > >
24 > > > --
25 > > > Best regards,
26 > > > Michał Górny
27 > > >
28 > > >
29 > >
30 > > Michał,
31 > >
32 > > The ideals "self-governing" and "professional umbrella" appear to be
33 > at
34 > > variance with each other. The professional umbrella will have a
35 > board
36 > > of directors that Gentoo devs have no say in the appointment of.
37 > >
38 > > How do you reconcile these apparently contradictory ideals?
39 >
40 > Just like with every other external company, we will need to negotiate
41 > and sign a contract. This contract must guarantee that the umbrella
42 > will give Gentoo appropriate freedom in handling its own affairs.
43 >
44 > We don't have a say in appointing directors of banks, service
45 > providers,
46 > CPA... yet I am yet to hear that we can't use their services because
47 > of
48 > that. In fact, with most of those companies we probably have even
49 > less
50 > say than with the potential umbrellas.
51
52 We get to choose all of these things and change if we want to.
53 An umbrella will own gentoo.
56 > Finally, do Gentoo devs really have much say in appointing Trustees?
57 > Just like Alec said -- when was the last time people actually had
58 > a choice between candidates, rather than between accepting the few who
59 > volunteered and leaving Foundation without Trustees? An umbrella will
60 > at least be bound by specific contract, while GF right now can make
61 > arbitrary decisions disregarding Gentoo developers.
62
63 This problem will not go away if we join an umbrella.
64
65 Gentoo will still have to manage its own assets, defend its own
66 trademarks and so on.
67
68 That leads nicely on to a new question but I'll ask it as a separate
69 question rather than bury it here.
72 > --
73 > Best regards,
74 > Michał Górny