From: Simon Cooper <thecoop@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Special meeting
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 23:45:16
1 As a random user, could I just make a couple of points?
2
3 I think it is agreed that the GLEP says there should be a re-election;
4 the current discussion is to whether the GLEP should be followed. May I
5 ask what the point of the GLEP was if parts of it are going to be
6 ignored on a whim?
7
8 Yes, it is harsh, but that is what the rules say. Not obeying your /own/
9 rules when they are inconvenient sets a very bad precedent. If, at some
10 point in the future, gentoo does get a slacker council, then when faced
11 with being replaced they could say something like 'but you ignored the
12 GLEP at this instance, and this is the same situation because of yadda
13 yadda yadda...'. Even if what's being said is complete rubbish it will
14 significantly slow down the process of getting a new council simply
15 because there has been this one exception made. Furthermore, the reason
16 given (there wasn't enough advertising about the meeting given out) is
17 quite nebulous - 'enough advertising' can mean /anything/. Making this
18 one exception also makes it easier for greater exceptions in the future
19 (the whole 'slipperly slope' argument).
20
21 If people don't like the clause, then the new council can vote to remove
22 it. No one would disagree with that. But you _cannot_ simply ignore
23 parts of GLEPs that turn out to be inconvenient. Doing so sets a bad
24 precedent that could be a lot more damaging to gentoo in the future than
25 the small inconvenience of having a council election a couple of months
26 early, and indeed undermines the GLEP itself as something that is seen
27 as optional. It will also ensure all council meetings are properly
28 advertised in the future, which can only be a good thing.
29
30 Simon Cooper
31 --
32 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list