From: zlg <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Foundation meeting agenda for April 2018
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 03:29:38
1 On Sun, Apr 08, 2018 at 08:06:43PM -0500, Matthias Maier wrote:
2 > This is a request by two developers (and not by the council). But I
3 > would like to answer one of your questions.
6 > On Sun, Apr 8, 2018, at 19:11 CDT, zlg <zlg@g.o> wrote:
7 >
8 > > [...]
9 > >
10 > > To the Council:
11 > >
12 > > What makes you accountable to this community? Why should we trust or
13 > > respect you when you have nothing on the line except a title? What
14 > > happens next if these affirmations are made? What's your angle, your
15 > > real motivation?
16 >
17 > The Gentoo Developer community has used GLEP 39 [1] for its
18 > self-organization for the last 12 years. Our "real motivation" (speaking
19 > as individual developers) is to keep it that way.
20
21 That doesn't answer the question. We all know what was written in the
22 proposal. Why do you feel the Council should oversee so much despite
23 assuming no liability or responsibility? What has the Council done to
24 fix the problems in its own backyard, like recruitment, retention,
25 engagement between developers, and opportunities to grow as developers?
26 These are all existential issues that the Council routinely writes off
27 as not their problem, but still want credit for leading the
28 distribution.
29
30 If the affirmation is not made, what will the Council's next move be? If
31 the affirmation *is* made, what will happen? I feel as a developer I
32 deserve to know what my _elected officials_ have in mind for the future
33 and ask them questions, on a basis smaller than that of something like
34 the manifestos that we use pre-election, which are one-way
35 communication. The relationship between the elected and the electorate
36 should not be a once-a-year deal where we hand over the reins and go
37 along with everything they do. Representing people means listening to
38 their concerns and factoring them into your decisions on a regular basis.
39
40 This affirmation has value to the Council in some way; they would not
41 ask for it if they didn't have plans for both outcomes. I am asking the
42 Council what those plans are and why we should trust their proposal.
43 It's difficult to make this decision in isolation given the past actions
44 of the Council wrt the Foundation. I do not think it is unreasonable to
45 question the motives of the group that professes to lead and represent
46 me and other developers, thus my line of questioning.
50 > > How do you trust a Council member when they have nothing to lose by
51 > > acting against the community?
52 >
53 > I fail to see how trying to get an affirmation that the Gentoo
54 > Foundation is still on board with GLEP 39 is "acting against the
55 > community".
56
57 I wasn't referring to any specific action in my question. It's a side
58 effect of current policy, nothing more. A bug.
61 > We have had a very public case of prometheanfire pushing for dissolving
62 > the current metastructure and reorganizing the community under the
63 > Foundation. Andreas and I, personally, disagree with that.
64
65 Why should a group -- who holds no legal, social, or practical
66 responsibility -- be trusted to lead the efforts of an organization? The
67 Council is not held to GLEPs or the CoC nearly as strongly as the
68 Foundation is to its Bylaws (and by extension, the CoC), and a large
69 part of that is the list of obligations outlined in the Articles of
70 Incorporation.
71
72 No such legal document exists to hold the Council accountable for
73 anything. I am asking: in the absence of that, how can we trust you
74 guys?
75
76 Those who take on the most liability should have the most weight in
77 decision-making. That attitude is common among Gentoo developers, too;
78 the people who'd end up doing the work behind a decision (i.e. the ones
79 responsible for carrying it out) have the most influence. Why should our
80 leadership be any different when it comes to accountability?
81
82 Sacrificing a few hours a month to chit-chat about some technical
83 decisions doesn't really convince me that you're accountable to us or
84 that you care about the effects of your decisions.
85
86 A Trustee can be sued or legally removed from the project if found in
87 violation of Bylaws. What consequences does a Council member face beyond
88 removal from a mail alias and a few other minor things?
89
90 That is the crux of my position. Your proposal seeks to maintain that
91 the Council assumes all admin powers, while the Foundation maintains all
92 liability and accountability, with an implicit expectation of supporting
93 the Council. Why should the Foundation be held responsible for the
94 Council's decisions? The Council doesn't respect the vulnerability of
95 the Trustees or the practical power that the Foundation has. The current
96 structure is not equitable. At present, five people at Gentoo put their
97 names and reputations on the line for this distro while a group of seven
98 people do whatever they please and offer nothing in return for the
99 privilege. Why should Council members be held to a lower standard than a
100 Trustee?
101
102 I hope I am not alone in seeing this imbalance in liability versus
103 influence.
104 >
105 > Best, Matthias
106 >