From: Makassikis Marios <mmakassikis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-soc] Greetings
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:24:44
1 Hello,
2
3 I would be interested in working on a gentoo project for this year's GSoC.
4 I am currently studying Computer Science at the University of Strasbourg and
5 should be graduating by the end of the year.
6
7 After having a look at the list of projects on the wiki, a few of them
8 caught my attention : Kuroo and Ventoo.
9 Indeed, one course this semester is about UIs and as part of it, we were
10 introduced to wxWidgets and Qt. Working on either project would let me put
11 to practice the knowledge I have acquired. I believe Kuroo would be easier
12 to work on, since Ventoo uses GTK and I am not familiar with it (although I
13 suspect there are similarities with the other frameworks.
14
15 I browsed the gentoo-soc list's archive, and noticed other persons expressed
16 their interest about these projects. However, there was little response, and
17 as such I am unaware of the current status on these.
18
19 In case they are taken, I suppose I could work on a EBuild Generator,
20 although it would target a different audience than the previous two (which
21 is not an issue, just a comment :) ), and there is no mentor mentionned on
22 the wiki page.
23
24 I have a working Gentoo install (unless there's something not working but
25 has yet to show up) and I usually use git when I develop something. I have
26 to admit I'm quite new to Gentoo, as I have heard of it from long ago but
27 never really got to try it out. I installed it a few days ago and I quite
28 like it.
29
30 Regards,
31
32 Marios Makassikis
35 PS: Sent this yesterday, but after 10 or so hours it didn't appear in the
36 archive, so I assume it never made it there. I apologize if it actually
37 shows up twice :)