From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:31:14
1 On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 07:48:12AM +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote
2 > On Tue, June 18, 2013 17:00, Joseph wrote:
3 > > Every time I compile a package I get a message:
4 > >
5 > > sendmail: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv6 name/address support:
6 > > Address family not supported by protocol
7 > >
8 > > What is it looking for?
9 >
10 > Do you have IPV6 enabled in your kernel and for the network interfaces?
11 > Simple and quick way to check, do you see IPV6-addresses when you type
12 > "ifconfig -a" in a console?
13 >
14 > I get this warning for all services that have IPV6 support on systems that
15 > don't have IPV6 enabled.
16
17 A few years ago the developers, "in their infinite wisdom", decided to
18 enable the ipv6 USE flag by default. I found out "the hard way", when
19 internet-enabled apps like Firefox sat there, spinning their wheels for
20 a minute, before timing out the IPV6 lookup and falling back to IPV4.
21 Since then, I have always done a --pretend update run and check the
22 output, before doing the real update. And I've switched to beginning my
23 USE variable with "-*".
24
25 There is the option of setting USE="-ipv6" the more timid users. I
26 don't understand the point of defaulting to IPV6. The vast majority of
27 Gentoo users probably still run IPV4-only.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications