From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT as it gets. Sorry] Windoze 7 and reinstalling error.
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 01:08:02
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I got a neighbour that has a computer issue. First, the hard drive went
6 >> out. We ordered a new one and installed it. Then he realized he didn't
7 >> have the restore discs. We ordered those from Gateway. I went up today
8 >> and tried to install winders 7 on the new drive. I put the system disc
9 >> in and it booted. Then it asked for the recovery disc #1. It copied
10 >> that over then asked for disc 2. After a bit it wanted the Language
11 >> disc. Then it said to reboot and it spit out the DVD.
12 >>
13 >> When it reboots from the hard drive, it comes up and says it is setting
14 >> up the hardware and it seems to finish it. Then a window pops up and
15 >> says this:
16 >>
17 >> "Windows Setup could not configure windows to run on this computers
18 >> hardware."
19 >
20 > Be sure the BIOS is set to AHCI mode and not RAID/IDE/Legacy mode, if
21 > possible. If AHCI is not a choice, but choices are nonetheless
22 > available, try changing it to whatever the alternative setting is. The
23 > idea being that the driver it's trying to use is not working, so maybe
24 > the other driver will work long enough to boot and install updates, at
25 > which point you can change the setting back to what it was and give
26 > that a shot.
27 >
28 > Does the new HDD have 4k sectors? I think Windows 7 can't be installed
29 > on those without supplying an updated disk controller driver during
30 > installation.
35 Your reply made me think of something. I had a XP reinstall once that
36 required a number from MS because of the new mobo and hard drive. They
37 said it recognized the change in the serial numbers. When I ran into
38 that before tho, it installed fine but gave 30 days to put in the
39 number. Does winders 7 have something similar?
40
41 I'll check into your idea tomorrow tho. I hadn't even thought about
42 that. I got the closest drive to it that I could find but I'm sure
43 there is a difference.
44
45 Thanks much for the idea. Still open to more ideas tho.
46
47 Dale
48
53 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
54 how you interpreted my words!
55
56 Miss the compile output? Hint:
57 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"