From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Living in NGL: was: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 19:07:52
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Sun, Dec 18, 2022 at 8:49 AM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net
5 > <mailto:ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > On 12/18/22 10:38, Mark Knecht wrote:
8 > > > Wipe the machine and start over with Gentoo from scratch...
9 > > > Wipe the machine and start over with Gentoo from scratch...
10 > > > Humm, I think you should...
11 > > > Wipe the machine and start over with Gentoo from scratch...
12 > >
13 > > First there was Linux from Scratch.
14 > >
15 > > Next came Beyond Linux from Scratch.
16 > >
17 > > Then there was Gentoo.
18 > >
19 > > Now, the latest, greatest installment: Gentoo from Scratch.
22 > Gawd, that's funny! Thanks for making me smile, assuming I found what
23 > you're talking about:
24 >
25 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_ebuild_tree_from_scratch
26 >
27 > Just what every Gentoo user needs. More management!
28 >
29 > I really have fallen off the deep end thinking computers are just
30 > tools to get a job done. I'm ashamed of myself...
31 >
32 > In the really early days of Gentoo circa 2003 when I started there was
33 > some choice about regular Gentoo or a really low level install. I
34 > failed with the low level one but soon learned that every package on
35 > my machine was going to get rebuilt anyway so why bother?
36 >
37 > :-( Sad Mark. I'm a putz...
38
39 It is connected properly.  Everything I have is 1GB now.  When I got
40 fiber internet, I had to upgrade everything.  With the old DSL, well,
41 even a 10MB card would have worked.  lol
42
43 See other reply that has more info.  I'm pretty sure it is the
44 encryption maxing out the CPU.  It's really the only thing that is
45 working hard.  Everything else seems to be doing more waiting than
46 anything.
47
48 I just might find a simple distro that I can install on that thing.
49 Honestly, I don't really care what is on it as long as it does what I
50 want and I can figure out how to make it work easily enough.  Still, I
51 wouldn't want Gentoo on a rig that slow.  I wouldn't have GUI stuff like
52 KDE, Firefox, libreoffice on it so that would save a lot of time but
53 still, even a headless machine would require some compile times.  Heck,
54 Ubuntu, Arch or any number of other distros would likely work just
55 fine.  Mostly, I need a better CPU.  If I encrypt anyway.
56
57 This will work for the time being.  Now that I figured out how to make
58 it work.  ROFL
59
60 Dale
61