From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 23:33:07
1 On Monday 05 Dec 2011 20:20:38 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 06:40:03PM +0100, Michael Mol wrote:
4 > >> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:10 PM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> > On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
6 wrote:
7 > >> >> In fact, I like gentoo and FreeBSD best for low-spoec hardware.
8 > >> >
9 > >> > What does low-spec hardware mean?
10 > >>
11 > >> Whatever the default setup of the latest release of Ubuntu runs
12 > >> sluggish on. (Or what a previous version of Ubuntu ran on, but current
13 > >> versions won't)
14 > >>
15 > >> While somewhat flippant, that seems a pretty reasonable way to think
16 > >> about it.
17 > >
18 > > Seems to me Ubuntu is sluggish no matter what hardware you have.
19 >
20 > That's why I gave the description I did. What seems sluggish to you
21 > may not seem sluggish to me. It certainly won't seem sluggish to my
22 > grandmother...
23 >
24 > It tunes itself very nicely to the perceptions and needs of the
25 > individual in question.
26
27 I no longer run Gentoo on my Pentium IBM laptop - let's face it with 72M RAM
28 even fluxbox was a bit sluggish! Ha!
29
30 I do however run it on my 1998 vintage Pentium 3 laptop and before that on a
31 Pentium 3 Coppermine. KDE is sluggish and rebuilding KDE takes a day or so.
32 That's why I don't run a full KDE ... ;p Only some KDE apps on e17.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick