From: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to make Opera or Firefox believe my location is the UK?
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:26:47
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:40:53 +0200 "Liviu Andronic"
4 <landronimirc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Is there a way to make Opera or Firefox believe that I am located in
6 > the UK? I am using (on a regular basis) the following environment
7 > variables.
8 > LC_ALL=en_GB.UTF-8
9 > LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
10 > Nonetheless, it seems to make no difference to either browser. Maybe
11 > someone knows exactly how does BBC, or Google and other sites
12 > proposing their web pages in your local language, determine your
13 > location?
14
15 It's determined based on your IP address. You can try it yourself at
16 http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_my_ip and
17 http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_ip .
18 This service locates not only the country, but also the city.
19
20 If you want to have an IP address in UK you will have to use a proxy in
21 UK. You can find a list of proxies at
22 http://tools.rosinstrument.com/proxy/
23
24 You could also find another TV channel with live video and audio
25 stream. There is a list of TV stations at http://wwitv.com/
28 Cheers,
29 Renat
33 Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
34 durch die sie entstanden sind.
35 (Einstein)