From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Bouncing Messages
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 18:59:44
1 On 03/03/2018 07:47 AM, Stroller wrote:
2 > My recollection is that I read this isn't that beneficial - that a policy
3 > of ~ is adequate.
4
5 I'm guessing that you're referring to SPF's "~all" policy.
6
7 Why, as a domain owner that knows for a fact where messages are sent
8 from, want to allow for the possibility of someone else spoofing
9 messages as my domain to be "…accepted but tagged…"?
10 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework)
11
12 I run the servers, I know the email infrastructure, I *KNOW* how email
13 is supposed to flow. So why give anyone an in rode?
14
15 Further, I accept any and all responsibility for the SPF record that I
16 publish blocking any legitimate email that I (*) send. The onus is on
17 me if I break delivery of email that I send.
18
19 * I do not consider messages from me re-sent by mailing lists to be
20 messages that I send. I say this because my email infrastructure does
21 NOT connect to any of the mailing list subscribers receiving email
22 infrastructure. IMHO the mailing list is sending a /new/ message to
23 those recipients. Said message just happens to be strongly based on a
24 message that I sent.
25
26 Finally, each and every single email administrator / domain owner / etc
27 is allowed to configure their systems as they see fit. If they (or I)
28 want to do something that will shoot them (or me) in the foot, who am I
29 (or you) to stop them (or me) from doing so?
34 Grant. . . .
35 unix || die