From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Simplest NTP client for standalone system?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:50:11
1 On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Another example is LVM. You or I might really need it (debatable now we
4 > have ZFS) but the average user has no concept of what it might be, or
5 > care. So why do Ubuntu installers shove it in your face as something
6 > really cool that you should really really use? Because the author of the
7 > installer thinks it's really cool, that's why.
10 Maybe.
11
12 Or maybe because when that computer's hard drive starts getting full
13 and you add a new hard drive, if you're using lvm with a few commands
14 you can make your /home expand across both drives, while with straight
15 partitions that is a lot more work.
16
17 There really is no reason not to use some kind of volume management
18 solution these days, whether that is zfs/btrfs, or lvm. When your
19 data is on lvm it is MUCH easier to move it around than if you just
20 put it directly on drive partitions.
21
22 Arguably you want more flexibility around adding/removing drives on
23 the desktop than in the enterprise, because desktop users don't add
24 and remove drives in sets of 5-6. This is why I think btrfs is
25 actually superior to zfs conceptually on the desktop (setting aside
26 the fact that it will tend to eat your data) - the flexibility matters
27 more on the small scale because you want to go from a 3-disk RAID5 to
28 a 4-disk RAID5.
32 Rich