From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-Up sys-lib/com_err breaks Apps
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 06:35:38
1 [Changed Subject. , should be com_err and not ss]
2
3 On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 23:04 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
4 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
5 > > If you guys did a emerge -uDav world anytime these past few days. I'm
6 > > sure you'll be hit by the libcom_err.so.3 error.
7 > >
8 > > This was really bad. Ruined half my working day since I can't get Evo to
9 > > come up.
10 > >
11 > > Anyway, the ebuild _does_ mentioned breaking compatibility and stuffs.
14 > > $grep einfo /usr/portage/sys-libs/com_err/*.ebuild
15 > >
16 > > einfo "PLEASE PLEASE take note of this"
17 > > einfo "Please make *sure* to run revdep-rebuild now"
18 > > einfo "Certain things on your system may have linked against a"
19 > > einfo "different version of com_err -- those things need to be"
20 > > einfo "recompiled. Sorry for the inconvenience"
21 > >
22 > > Which is a huge bummer since most of us don't go checking the ebuilds
23 > > for these specific lines. How I wish It would just abort and BLAST the
24 > > Einfo on the screen for me to see the next day and decide to do it
25 > > manually.
26 > >
27 > > Oh well... It's fixed.
30 > Shouldn't revdep-rebuild solve issues like that? I always run revdep-rebuild after updates and I don't recall having any problem with this com_err update ( I know lots of others did though :-( ).
31
32 It didn't catch everything. Right now I'm recompiling xscreensaver.
33
34 The thing which I'm talking about is, if there are _specific_ caveats
35 such as with this new app, it shouldn't even go ahead and
36 compile/upgrade/update. It should just shoot the ebuild einfo and then
37 force manual intervention.
38
39 Updates are usually done at night. Output is not seen. That's why. If I
40 knew that it might break anything, I wouldn't leave it overnight to
41 update and then go to work and find Evo(or important "X" app) wouldn't
42 work and cause undue frustration.
46 Ow Mun Heng
47 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
48 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
49 Neuromancer 14:25:41 up 22:22, 9 users, load average: 1.94, 1.73, 1.22
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list