From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel fails to boot on Via Epia
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 08:40:34
1 On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 09:03:06 +0200, Thomas Chef wrote:
2
3 > I configured the needed devices as built in, and nothing as a module.
4
5 Which devices?
6
7 > I have a primary ide-disk on the first IDE-channel, /dev/hda when I
8 > boot the minimal installation cd.
9
10 Is this an old CD? Modern kernels would see that device as /dev/sda
11
12 > VFS: Cannot open root device "303" or unknown-block (3,3)
13 > Please append a correct boot option; here are the available:
14 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
15 > unknown-block(3,3)
16
17 The kernel is unable to find your root device. Try with the sda notation,
18 if that fails post your kernel config.
19
20 > Does anyone have a .config-file that works with the Epia card ?
21
22 Yes, but I netboot my Epia box so it may not be much use to you.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Q-Tip: When an omnipotent alien gives you advice.