From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 19:13:06
1 On 12/11/2022 18:22, Dale wrote:
2 > Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels?  Since I reboot so
3 > rarely, what not use one of them??  Of course, the kernel I have in use
4 > now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.
5
6 Do you REALLY want an LTS kernel? Sounds like you don't. You need to
7 update them just as much as any other kernel.
8
9 The point of an LTS kernel is it supposed to NOT receive feature
10 updates, just bug fixes. Given that Artificial Stupidity bots regularly
11 try to apply updates to stable kernels, is it worth restricting yourself
12 to old kernels? Especially when it's not unknown for a bot to try to
13 backport a patch from kernel X+2, when it depends on a patch from X+1
14 that hasn't been backported, and anybody using that code finds their
15 "stable" kernel blowing up in their face.
16
17 The idea behind stable kernels is great. The implementation leaves a lot
18 to be desired and, as always, the reason is not enough manpower.
19
20 Cheers,
21 Wol