From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Freeing up disk space problem!!
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:03:05
1 trevor donahue writes:
2
3 > So here's the thing. When I use gentoo for a long time, even without
4 > updating the current pack of installed software (emerge -uD world), I am
5 > left without disk space... In situations like this I start deleting
6 > /var/tmp/*, /tmp/*, /usr/portage/distfiles/*, maybe do even a
7 > revdep-rebuild to fix something, but even then I'm left with no more
8 > then 100 mb, which obviously is not enough ...
9
10 Use eclean-dist and eclean-pkg (in app-portage/gentoolkit) to delete your
11 distfiles.
12
13 If you instantly need more space, reduce the amount of reserved space for
14 the superuser, which is 5% as default:
15 tune2fs -m 2 /dev/your/partition
16 Don't reduce it to 0, the lower this value is, the more fragmentation you
17 will get.
18
19 > So this time I googled a bit and I deleted all the /usr/share/doc/ and
20 > this left me with 2.5 gb of space (wow).
21 >
22 > So the questions are ... in cases like this, what should be done? what
23 > is storing this much space? logs?
24
25 You need to find out for yourself. I sometimes simply do a du -mx
26 --max-depth=1 / to see which directory has what amount of data in it.
27 Repeat for interesting directories like /usr/share/doc, and you will see
28 what takes big space. Add a '| sort -n' to get sorted output. Or better
29 use sys-fs/ncdu which is interactive.
30
31 If you prefer something graphical, there are many alternatives:
32
33 Baobab in gnome-extra/gnome-utils
34 kde-base/filelight
35 k4dirstat in kde-misc/kdirstat
36 Konqueror -> View -> View Mode -> File Size View (or something like that
37 in English)
38 jdiskreport in sys-fs/jdiskreport-bin
39
40 Wonko