From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 23:24:29
1 On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:11 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Mark David Dumlao <madumlao <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > You're the only one in this thread that's imposing on everyone
5 > > to produce anything. You're the only one in this thread that
6 > > SHOULD be producing anything. That's how open source works and
7 > > that's how it's supposed to work. We're not your unpaid researchers.
8 >
9 > I'm sorry, Volker pointed out that the pro systemd folks came to
10 > gentoo-user, waiving linux's dirty panties around. We ask a few
11 > simple questions, now you result to name calling?
14 There is no "gentoo-user separate from pro systemd folks". You made that
15 up. "pro systemd folks" have been part of gentoo user for years and years
16 now, and they've been harassed repeatedly with "simple" loaded questions
17 based on wrong assumptions for years and years now.
18
19 You know all those bits I mentioned to Volker about people getting FHS
20 wrong, or not bothering to read man pages, or not giving a crap what an
21 "init thingy" was and throwing public tantrums on it? I didn't make those
22 up. They're here, on this list, and I've had to wade in that crap for a few
23 years, and even in those threads where I only intended to give practical
24 advice like "if you want to load udev earlier, you could write an init
25 script for it..." or something to that effect. Only to be heaped by
26 plateful after plateful of vitriolic, _technically empty_ crap and
27 callbacks to Unix platitudes half the sayers don't even understand that
28 well.
29
30 Fact of the matter is systemd isn't "invading gentoo", it's part of it now,
31 and has been for quite a while. All those big changes many people have been
32 sore about on this list could have been turned into complete non-problems
33 if we took all the smart-brains time spent arguing this point to instead
34 write integration packages the way Canek did.
35 --
36 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [ ] social
37 Response needed: [ ] yes [ ] up to you [ ] no
38 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [ ] none