From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching CPU's -- what strange things do I need?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:44:56
1 on Friday 01/25/2008 Andrey Falko(ma3oxuct@×××××.com) wrote
2 > On Jan 25, 2008 10:00 AM, John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi folks. I right now have my CCFLAGS set to CFLAGS="-O2
5 > > -mtune=athlon-xp -pipe" -- now I am getting one of those new Intel
6 > > e8400 CPU's and so I have two questions.
7 > >
8 > > What should I change my CCFLAGS to -- and do I have to recompile the
9 > > whole system after this is done or what?
12 > I've done this before. I moved from an old Intel 3.06 Ghz to a new Athlon64
13 > 4600+. I did *not* change flags before the move from system to system. After
14 > the move, however, I changed my -march flag (in your case -mtune, which is
15 > equivalent) and recompiled everything to have the change take effect.
16 >
17 > In your case, move the system from machine to machine, then change your
18 > -mtune to: -mtune=nocona (see
19 > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options)
20 > . When you are done with that recompile everything: emerge -e world
21 >
22 Thanks all -- I have a 32-bit profile, so I guess I will not be able
23 to use ncona -- is this correct?
27 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
28 How do
29 you spend it?
30
31 John Covici