From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: raid1 grub ext4
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:59:07
1 Florian Philipp <lists <at> binarywings.net> writes:
5 > Your boot partition is not by any chance a logical partition and
6 > therefore would be (hd0,4) and not (hd0,0)?
7
8 grub> root (hd0,4)
9 Error 22: No such partition
10
11 No?
14 > You can try to use 0.90 metadata by specifying it while creating the
15 > RAID with mdadm. I'm using it myself because AFAIK this is the only way
16 > for grub to handle a single RAID containing partitions instead of
17 > partitions containing RAIDs.
18
19 OK so I read about this "0.90 metadata" but could not find
20 details (syntax) of when and exactly how to use this information.
21 OK, so, I've rebooted and got the md1, md2, md3 renamed by
22 (whatever) to md125 md127 and md126, respectively.
23
24 I changed the fstab like so:
25
26 #/dev/md1 /boot ext4 noauto,noatime 1 2
27 #/dev/md3 / ext4 noatime 0 1
28 #/dev/md2 swap swap defaults 0 0
29
30 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
31 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,rw,user 0 0
32 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
33
34 /dev/md125 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
35 /dev/md126 / ext4 noatime 0 1
36 /dev/md127 swap swap defaults 0 0
39 I put ext2 on /boot, re-emerged grub, edit the grub.conf,
40 but when I run grub I still get HD that cannot be found?
41
42 grub> root (hd0,0)
43 Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xfd
44 grub> root (hd1,0)
45 Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0xfd
46 grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
47 Error 15: File not found
48 grub> find /grub/stage1
49 Error 15: File not found
50
51 All the files are in /boot/grub...
52
53 ext2 support is built into the kernel, with extended attributes.
54
55 ideas? (syntax and steps to repeat after a reboot?)
56 Its my first software raid on gentoo, so I'm sure I've
57 mucked things up a bit....
60 James