From: "Jesús J. Guerrero Botella" <jesus.guerrero.botella@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ogg/mp3 volume
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 09:43:39
1 Just for sake of correctness, what the op wants is called normalization, in
2 the world of sound edition.
3
4 It can be done once, as you rip the file or it can be done on the fly when
5 playing it. "replaygain" is (as the name itself says) an implementation of
6 this that automatically adjusts the gain of each soundtrack. But its just
7 the name of the concrete implementation, not the name of the process. Just
8 like volvo is a brand of cars, but not all cars are branded volvo.
9
10 I,ll add that if you normalize while ripping you are damaging permanently
11 the audio files, which in addition to a loussy format like mp3, and cheap
12 speakers, can result in a very bad thing, but that really depends on how
13 demanding your ear is...
14
15 Specially for bands like led zeppelin, I would just use the second method
16 (adjust while playing, rather than while ripping). Someday you will want to
17 hear the whole disk as it was intended, and if you normalized on ripping
18 you won't be able to.
19 ---
20 Jesús Guerrero Botella