From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:20:35
1 I'm convinced I need 3-disk RAID1 so I can lose 2 drives and keep
2 running. I'd also like to stripe for performance, resulting in
3 RAID10. It sounds like most hardware controllers do not support
4 6-disk RAID10 so ZFS looks very interesting.
5
6 Can I operate ZFS RAID without a hardware RAID controller?
7
8 From a RAID perspective only, is ZFS a better choice than conventional
9 software RAID?
10
11 ZFS seems to have many excellent features and I'd like to ease into
12 them slowly (like an old man into a nice warm bath). Does ZFS allow
13 you to set up additional features later (e.g. snapshots, encryption,
14 deduplication, compression) or is some forethought required when first
15 making the filesystem?
16
17 It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
18 (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
19 world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
20 installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
21
22 Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points. Is it
23 considered suitable for a high-performance server?
24
25 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
26
27 Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
28
29 - Grant