From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: terrible performance with btrfs on LVM2 using a WD 2TB green drive
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 00:31:06
1 On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 15:26 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
5 > > I have recently added a WD 2TB green drive to two systems and am finding
6 > > terrible performance with btrfs on an LVM using these drives.
7 >
8 > Hmmmm, I've been contemplating btrfs on some new installs
9 > with the eventual goal of a CEPH network file system, on top
10 > of ext4 and/or btrfs. Is this issue just with the drivers, or
11 > related to btrfs too?
12 >
13 same plan as mine :)
14
15 > How is btrfs , from the "driver's seat"?
16 >
17 Some early corruption that was due to a failing (old/ancient) HD -
18 easily fixed using online fsck until I realised it was caused by the
19 hardware and removed the drive (actually it finally died!). I have had
20 one instance of a more serious corruption caused by some bug in btrfs
21 that needed the latest btrfsck from git to fix offline - later kernels
22 do not suffer from this apparently.
23
24 Otherwise I have been hammering it as a dirvish backup server and except
25 for speed its fine - and I wont be able to confirm that the speed issue
26 is btrfs's fault until I get the partitioning correct - and dirvish is
27 somewhat unique in what it does so it could be a special case.
28
29 > Does this aberration you detail, extend to the Green Seagate 2T drives?
30 >
31 No idea :)
32
33 > > I just saw on the mythtv list about the sector size problem these drives
34 >
35 > Can you give a precise link to this list or can I follow it (read only)
36 > via net news? (if so what is the news group name)?
37 google for adf and 4k sectors
40 > I'd like to read up on this issue, as I have several gentoo installs
41 > (very soon) that will have RAID1 using (2) ST 2T green drives.
42 >
43 > Alternative RAID configs and performance/reliability results is
44 > also of keen interest to many; so thanks for posting about these
45 > issues.
48 > James
52 Read up about raid and the model of green drive you are contemplating -
53 not all are compatible from what I have read.
54
55 Billk