From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how do you keep up with system administration?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:29:59
1 On 5/29/07, Denis <denis.che@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 5/29/07, Tim Allinghan <deserted@×××××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Last thing before I hop off each night, emerge --sync followed by a -pv
5 > > -uDN world, if I'm happy I fire it up and head to bed :)
6 >
7 > I'm sure that makes for particularly sweet dreams ;-)
8 >
9 > One thing I've wondered about... When you update X or nvidia drivers,
10 > do you need to kill X before running emerge?
11
12 I've never done it *before* the emerge, but I usually restart after
13 the merge, like any other service. Only time I've ever had a problem
14 with a program running while emerging is with a glibc upgrade a while
15 back screwing with a running Firefox, restarting Firefox solved
16 things.
17
18 > I usually dread kernel updates because then I have to go through
19 > kernel menuconfig all over again, and for me, that takes some time. I
20 > guess one can reuse the old .config file, but I understand it's not
21 > always a safe thing to do. Is it reasonably ok to wait for every
22 > "major" 2.6.x release to update, or is it necessary to update on every
23 > minor 2.6.x.y release also?
24
25 I use 'gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > .config && make oldconfig'
26 consistently, never had a problem. I always keep a working kernel in
27 grub.conf in case of screwups, and I read the options very carefully
28 before selecting. One caveat: going from 2.4 to 2.6 I reconfigured
29 by hand from scratch. Whenever we get to 2.8 (or whatever the next
30 major release is), I'll do that again.
33 Ryan W Sims
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list