From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:50:54
1 On Sunday 11 October 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sunday 11 October 2009 13:22:48 Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 13:18 +0200, Justin wrote:
4 > > > I would say it is about just to many germans who are translating
5 > > > german
6 > > > words literally into english and as the the german word for package is
7 > > > "Paket" they come up with packet.
8 > >
9 > > Oh wow I did not know that. See I knew it had to have some reasonable
10 > > explanation. Thanks for the education.
11 >
12 > Well, at least now we know that English contains at least one word that is
13 > less ambiguous than the German equivalent.
14 >
15 > I would not have thought it could be done.
16
17 Packet in English is almost always correctly used to denote a format of
18 network transmitted data (in the context of a conversation about IT and
19 computers) which is routable:
20
21 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_(information_technology)
22
23 The word packet also has other meanings like: a 'small amount of', a 'package
24 of' and can be used in the context of money (one's salary or earnings),
25 crisps, condoms, chewing-gums, etc.
26
27 Therefore the word packet can be ambiguous in English too, if the context in
28 which it is mentioned is not known.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick