From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE, sddm etc security. Plus LVM question.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 08:03:25
1 Howdy,
2
3 I been thinking.  Yea, that's dangerous.  lol  If I logout of KDE, or
4 have the screen locked, ctrl+alt=L key sequence, how secure is that if I
5 have good passwords that are virtually impossible to crack?  My login
6 manager is sddm.  As a example, if someone breaks into my home, is there
7 a easy way to get past that?  I recall the old windoze 98 days where a
8 certain key sequence would bypass the password prompt.  Is there a way
9 known to crooks and such that can bypass or easily defeat passwords?
10
11 I'm aware that if a person boots up where no password is required, that
12 will bypass, even as root if I recall correctly.  I'm just looking for
13 something that is even easier than that.
14
15 Also, if I have a encrypted hard drive open and mounted and then cut off
16 power, doesn't that disable the decryption for the drive?  In other
17 words, I pull the plug and someone powers it back up, the drive is
18 encrypted again and requires a password.
19
20 Also, I'm planning to reorganize and encrypt some more stuff here.  I
21 want to remove one hard drive from my home thingy.  Is it really as easy
22 as pvmove /dev/sdx the device I want to remove?  From my understanding I
23 need to reduce the file system first.  Is that correct?  I'm often
24 amazed at how easy some things can be done with LVM.
25
26 Thanks to all for the thoughts.
27
28 Dale