From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is gnome becoming obligatory?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 23:08:25
1 On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 09:02:24PM +0000, Wols Lists wrote
2 > On 10/12/17 10:13, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
3 > > I've no idea how good systemd is. It's not been through the normal
4 > > process of choice and selection that other successful packages have.
5 > > It was forced on people. But being forced to have a binary system log,
6 > > being forced (so I have heard) to have an http server running, ....,
7 > > doesn't make it an attractive package for me.
8 >
9 > Oddly enough, although the details are different, that passage I've
10 > quoted pretty accurately describes how I feel about Gnome ... :-)
11
12 I can't find it right now on Google, but I vaguely remember that
13 Lennart asked the Gnome people to make systemd a hard dependancy. Not
14 much later logind, which is required by Gnome, picks up systemd as a
15 hard dependancy.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications