From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Multiseat -- LTSP?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 23:30:55
1 >> I'd like to have multiple users working from separate monitors,
2 >> keyboards, and mice, but all connected to a single Gentoo computer.
3 >> The main purpose is to minimize sys admin duties but hardware and
4 >> power requirements would also be minimized.
5 >>
6 >> Apparently this is called "multiseat" and native support in Xorg might
7 >> not be ready for primetime:
8 >>
9 >> http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/Multiseat
10 >> http://vignatti.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/multiseat-roadmap
11 >>
12 >> There is a configuration tool for Xorg multiseat called MDM:
13 >>
14 >> http://wiki.c3sl.ufpr.br/multiseat/index.php/Mdm
15 >>
16 >> but from what I've read it isn't ideal.  Besides Xorg multiseat I've
17 >> read about LTSP and a few others:
18 >>
19 >> http://www.ltsp.org
20 >> http://www.thinstation.org
21 >> http://automseat.sourceforge.net
22 >> http://www.openthinclient.org
23 >>
24 >> There are also a lot of proprietary options.  Is LTSP the way to go?
25 >
26 > It may be, but as with all thin client models you would need a terminal
27 > computer for each user.
28 >
29 > If you only have one machine and monitors, keyboards and mice for each user
30 > then you'll need multiple video cards (and a strong power supply) for your
31 > only PC.  In this case something like http://automseat.sourceforge.net may be
32 > more appropriate.  However, I have not used anything like this set up to offer
33 > an opinion on performance.
34 >
35 > At work we use thin clients running Debian to serve MSWindows server desktop
36 > and apps to users.  This setup uses the Citrix ica protocol, but I'm thinking
37 > that FreeNX coupled with VNC or relevant KDE or Gnome remote desktop
38 > implementation would probably work nicely and offer LAN and remote connection
39 > security at the same time.
40 > --
41 > Regards,
42 > Mick
43
44 If I throw out installing a separate OS on a separate machine for each
45 workstation and all of the proprietary thin-client protocols, I think
46 I have 3 options:
47
48 1. Connect monitors, USB keyboards, and USB mice directly to a server
49 with multiple video cards. I found a motherboard with 6 PCI-E slots:
50
51 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508
52
53 6 video cards could be installed for 6 workstations if the server goes
54 headless, and even more if multi-headed video cards are used. Xorg
55 requires some special configuration for this but this discussion from
56 2010 sounds like it's something that is actually done:
57
58 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-836950-start-0.html
59
60 These guys got it working in 2006:
61
62 http://www.linuxgazette.net/124/smith.html
63
64 2. Set up a separate thin client for each workstation and run LTSP on
65 the server. This seems inferior to #1 because it requires setting up
66 and maintaining the LTSP server and client configuration, NFS, xinetd,
67 tftp, dnsmasq, and PXE-boot. Bandwidth would also be limited compared
68 to #1 and hardware and power requirements would be much greater.
69
70 3. Run a Plugable thin client for each workstation:
71
72 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PXPPNA
73
74 This likely requires running "Userful Multiseat Linux" on my server
75 which is only packaged up for Ubuntu. The Plugable thin client
76 connects to the server via USB 2.0 which makes me wonder if it could
77 be made to work without Userful Multiseat Linux as a USB video card
78 and input devices, but I imagine drivers for the video card and
79 bandwidth over USB could be a problem.
80
81 I think #1 is the way to go but I'd love to hear anyone else's opinion
82 on that. Has anyone here ever set up multiseat in Xorg?
83
84 - Grant