From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:48:58
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 19:16:08 Neil Bothwick did opine thusly:
2 > On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:23:58 +0200, pk wrote:
3 > > It refuses to die because it's still very useful in certain
4 > > niche areas (hpc, numerical computing etc.) where "modern"
5 > > languages doesn't cut it... :-)
6 >
7 > Or so the Fortran programmers with jobs to protect will tell you...
8 >
9 > You'll be telling us there's still a place for Cobol next :-O
10
11 Of course there's a place for Cobol, a classic one is in the bank my
12 gf does data warehousing at.
13
14 There's not a single soul in the entire bank that is willing to sign
15 off on a project to replace the Cobol that has run
16 justfinethanksverymuch for 25+ years
20 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com