From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Replacement for acroread on 64bit system?
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 22:42:35
1 What is a good acroread replacement?
2
3 I'm not sure what changed, but as of a few weeks ago I can no longer
4 install acroread on my AMD64 system (something to do with x86
5 emulation librarys being blocked by something in the Xorg server).
6
7 I decided to try to live without acroread. I've been using evince and
8 emacs, and they're both satasifactory most of the time, but they fall
9 down when it comes to printing.
10
11 One of the things I like to be able to do is to open up a PDF document
12 and print a portion of one of a page in a size that fills a single
13 8.5x11 sheet. This is trivial in acroread, but impossible in evince
14 or emacs (actually I can't figure out how to print at all in either
15 one).
16
17 Being able to print a portion of a page is particularly useful for
18 things like printing out an area of interest from a C size schematic
19 or printing a single table from a user manual or datasheet.
20
21 How do I do that without acroread?
22
23 [I'm running an XFCE desktop, so would prefer something that doesn't
24 pull in a gigabyte of Gnome or KDE dependancies.]
25
26 Yes, I _have_ figured out how to do it with various command line tools
27 (pdftk, psresize, etc.), but that involves 20 minutes of trial and
28 error (and dozens of sheets going into the recycle bin) to do
29 something that would take 20 seconds in acroread (and work on the
30 first try).
33 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have a VISION! It's
34 at a RANCID double-FISHWICH on
35 gmail.com an ENRICHED BUN!!