From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:55:21
1 On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:00:55 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > >> I'll be getting my feet wet with this shortly.  Any other tips
5 > >> regarding the management of one or more programmers working on
6 > >> various small web projects?  Maybe workflow or any key procedures
7 > >> a newbie manager should follow?
8 > >
9 > > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
10 > >
11 > > Do not micro-manage
12 > > Do not tell them how to do what they do
13 >
14 > Could you give me an example of this last one?
15
16 - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have you
17 considered (i.e. I would like you to) using $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
18
19 - Fiddling with the roadmap. Somehow, this always ends up like the
20 homeowner overriding the architect and trying to get the roof up
21 before the walls.
22
23 - Giving "advice" on the process such as saying how awesome a concept
24 stakeholders and product owners are in Scrum. But they use
25 ExtremeProgramming.
26
27 - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some managers
28 want to do this daily.
29
30 - Get personally involved on their level.
33 All these things class as interference. Managers and owners who do this
34 have miles of justifiable reasons for doing so, but it's always hogwash
35 - they interfere, plain and simple.
38 > - Grant
41 > > For everything else, good old communication (that thing you do lots
42 > > of in business) will see you through.
43 > >
44 > > --
45 > > Alan McKinnnon
46 > > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com