From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 15:48:06
1 On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 22:36 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 14:00 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > >> Oh, gimme a break. Screaming about it on -dev for hundreds of posts
5 > >> isn't just equivalent to a vote, it's better. It makes people think
6 > >> there's more than 2 developers opposed to it.
7 > >
8 > > Really? Even you didn't remember that *I* was opposed to Sunrise and
9 > > probably accounted for at least a good 50 responses. Yes, good came
10 > > from it. Yes, it could have been done much, much better.
11 >
12 > Sunrise is a poor example for me, because I ignored all the discussion
13 > on it past a certain point. It was just rehashing the same points over,
14 > and over, and over...
15
16 Yes, because we were asked for the same thing over and over, which is
17 also why I ended up no longer responding. You can only say the same
18 thing so many ways before it gets tiring.
19
20 > > Hopefully, to streamline processes and give power back to individual
21 > > projects to govern themselves in internal matters and let people get
22 > > back to doing development. That's a goal I would love to see us strive
23 > > to achieve in the next year.
24 >
25 > From what I see, projects are pretty free to govern themselves. How do
26 > you see it differently?
27
28 How do you kick someone out of a project? Currently, I know of no way
29 to do so.
30
31 What process is required for someone to join a project? Currently,
32 anyone can add themselves to any project without any consent from the
33 project itself. The only real counter-examples to this are projects
34 which require some kind of specific authorization to join, such as
35 devrel or infra, since they have access controls.
36
37 Who is responsible for an individual developer's work, aside from the
38 developer? If a developer joins a project and doesn't do what he's
39 promised, nothing happens to him. If he doesn't work his bugs, nothing
40 happens. Why not?
41
42 What if the developer does poor work? This really ties into the above,
43 but what happens if someone is found to not really possess the skills
44 necessary to be in a project? Right now, we cannot do anything about
45 this person but hope that they either magically gain the skills, or
46 leave the project on their own accord.
47
48 > As Weeve said, he's still trying to get people to stop breaking SPARC
49 > keywords, just like 3 years ago. It's just when trying to do anything
50 > larger than a single project that you run into issues.
51
52 People that do this sort of thing should have some sort of consequences.
53 The occasional accident is one thing, but there are people that become
54 "repeat offenders" with many of these sorts of issues, yet nothing is
55 done to them. If there's no consequences, why should they bother
56 changing their behavior?
59 Chris Gianelloni
60 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
61 x86 Architecture Team