From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 09:24:03
1 On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 03:30:10 +0100 Christel Dahlskjaer
2 <christel@g.o> wrote:
3 | What do you believe could make Gentoo more attractive
4 | to new users and to current users?
5
6 Something that's often missed in these discussions... The only serious
7 interaction between Gentoo and nearly all of our end users is through
8 the tree, package manager and related tools and our documentation. Most
9 of our users don't regularly read mailing lists, use IRC or the forums,
10 so the only thing they really see is what happens when they emerge
11 --sync and install things.
12
13 I'm not entirely sure how bugzilla fits into all this. I suspect that
14 it's nowhere near as widely used by end users as it could be.
15
16 Three things I can think of that can be drawn from this:
17
18 * GLEP 42
19
20 * All the pretty pink unicorns in the world aren't going to make a
21 scrap of difference if the tree keeps breaking.
22
23 * If we're looking to increase the flow of end users -> super users ->
24 developers, perhaps we should focus more upon improving development
25 tools or development documentation.
28 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
29 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
30 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm