From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <ml@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Quantity of open bugs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:25:51
1 Hi all,
2
3 I was nosing through bugzilla, and noticed:
4
5 * Number of open bugs is greater than 14,000
6 * Number of open bugs untouched for more than 2 years - well over 2000.
7 * Number of open bugs untouched between 1 and 2 years - well over 2000.
8 * Number of open bugs untouched between 6 months and 1 year - well over
9 2000.
10 * Number of open bugs untouched between 3 months and 6 months - over
11 2000
12
13 The winner is bug #78406, which hasn't been touched for over 2240 days
14 - over 6 years - at the time of writing.
15
16 I would guess these old untouched bugs aren't actually going to be
17 touched, ever - a lot simply won't be relevant any more for one reason
18 or another. All they're doing is cluttering up bugzilla.
21 So I'd like to suggest a drastic, perhaps controversial action. Mark
22 all bugs that haven't been touched for over (say) 3 months as
23 "Resolved:Wontfix", with a polite comment saying that it is closed due
24 to lack of resource amongst the volunteer developer community. I'm
25 sure a suitable bugzilla script wiz could do that relatively
26 easily. Users who care about such bugs can still comment on them, or
27 talk directly to the assigned dev to highlight it's still a relevant
28 issue to them, or even to supply a solution against the current tree.
29
30 It could be an ongoing policy, in which case, users who care about
31 them can keep bugs alive simply by posting useful updates to the bug,
32 describing how the issue still applies to a new revision for example.
33
34 Just a thought from an old ex-dev...
35
36 Kev.