From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new "qt" category
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:57:27
1 Hi guys,
2
3 Presently we already have a good number of split qt-* library packages
4 in x11-libs. With the arrival of Qt5 upstream has gone a lot further
5 in modularization, so we expect the number of packages to grow much
6 more. We, the Gentoo Qt team, are of the opinion that the time has
7 come to split all these out into their own category. This category is
8 to be used for the various modules and applications that belong to the
9 upstream Qt Framework only (these include e.g. assistant and
10 linguist). Third-party applications should remain in the current
11 categories.
12
13 After some initial bikeshedding we came to the conclusion that naming
14 the category simply "qt" is the most elegant solution. We will then
15 also be dropping the qt- prefix in package names. This means
16 x11-libs/qt-core will be moved to qt/core, and so on.
17
18 Please let us know your thought on this.
19 --
20 Cheers,
21
22 Ben | yngwin
23 Gentoo developer
24 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin