From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 18:22:03
1 > 2. Add an extra contribution period in which the candidate commits to
2 > the tree through Pull Requests. Developers watch the requests, review
3 > them and decide when the recruit is ready. We may extend this with
4 > requirements like '3 different developers must review late activities
5 > and evaluate them'.
6
7 Alternative suggestion, get at least 5 ebuilds into Sunrise before we even
8 consider you. :P
9
10 > 3. Possibly extend the recruit-recruiter interaction. Rather than
11 > treating the interrogation as some kind of final confirmation, make it
12 > a small extra part of the learning process. In other words, reduce
13 > the other parts, fill in the blanks here.
14
15 When I was recruited, the expectation was that you're basically ready and up
16 to speed the moment you even first talk to them. My mentor prepared me for
17 that. I spent quite some time with the quizzes, but then the actual review
18 sessions with the recruiters were no problem at all and went rather quickly.
19
20 [Surprise, this also decreases the workload of the recruiters!]
21
22 So, please: Take being a mentor serious! Both before the actual recruiting and
23 afterwards during the 6 probation months.
26 Andreas K. Huettel
27 Gentoo Linux developer
28 perl, office, comrel, council