From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo Recruiters need your help!
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 15:00:45
1 On 11/15/2014 03:44 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 16/11/14 00:43, hasufell wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> We should recruit less people and instead make an effort to review other
6 >>> peoples overlays and include a list of high-quality overlays on our website.
7 >>>
8 >>> The good part is: any dev can do this and it moves away from our broken
9 >>> centralized packaging model.
10 >>> In addition, this will take off workload from the recruiters team.
11 >>
12 >> High-quality, reviewed overlays is a good idea. We still need more
13 >> recruiters though.
16 > ++
17 >
18 > I'm all for implementing a more distributed model, though I think it
19 > would take a bit more than just a list of overlays (we need better
20 > policies around eclass changes and the like, unless we want overlays
21 > to fork them). That said, we've talked about that many times and
22 > until we're happily buzzing along with 47 high-quality overlays let's
23 > not turn off the developer production factory.
26 Turning it off will decrease organizational problems, make the
27 distribution more focused and eventually more high quality, because
28 people would be able to actually work together on the _core_ of gentoo
29 (toolchain, base-system, eclasses, PM...).
30
31 So, I was specifically talking about a distributed model _opposed_ to
32 adding new "developers" every time we are short on a team.
33
34 Of course, this would also require us to actually work together _with_
35 the community.