From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-releng] Checklists for testers and QA
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 00:38:42
1 Well, I'm sure all of you are still reading over the summary and meeting
2 logs, but when you're done, I'd like to get everyone's involvement in
3 helping create the three checklists we plan on distributing. The lists
4 are Beta, QA, and Release. For the most part, they will overlap quite
5 heavily, but I still see the need for keeping them separate.
6
7 In the case of Beta and Release, we'll also want to ask people for
8 specific information about their environment (hardware, software, etc.)
9 that will help us to troubleshoot the issues and focus more energy on
10 the worst problems.
11
12 I'll start us off:
13
14 - Which media did you download? (Minimal, Universal, LiveCD, LiveDVD)
15 - Did the media pass MD5/SHA1 checks? (If you didn't check, say so.)
16
17 - Does the media boot on your system?
18 - If not, what errors were reported?
19 - Did you use any command line options?
20 - If so, which ones?
21
22 - After boot, were all of your devices detected?
23 - If not, what was not detected?
24 - What driver does this device use?
25 - Is the driver on the media? (Say "don't know" if you're unsure.)
26
27 - Did previous releases work where this one is not?
28
29 - What chipset is your motherboard? IDE? SATA?
30 - Do you use external controllers for SATA/SAS/SCSI/etc.?
31 - If so, which ones?
32 - How much RAM is in your system?
33 - Did you try to boot with "docache" enabled?
34 - What video card(s) do you have?
35 - Was it properly detected?
36 - Did X start properly?
37
38 This should be a pretty decent start and give everyone an idea of what
39 we would be looking for with these checklists. What things do you think
40 need to be checked for and what information do you think we would need
41 to properly diagnose any issues?
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
46 Games Developer