From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:20:55
1 >> Is cost-savings the advantage of using CF instead of SSD?  It sounds
2 >> like it might be wiser to spend a little more (low capacity SSD drives
3 >> are pretty cheap now) and have a real storage device that doesn't need
4 >> an adapter and is much faster, can swap, etc.
5 >
6 > I assumed that you're looking at £100 or more for an SSD, as opposed to <
7 > £10 for a CF card. I didn't check those prices, however.
8 >
9 > Are SSDs really *that* much better than CF cards in terms of write cycles?
10 > (i.e. swap)
11 > How much swap are you actually using?
12 >
13 > If the box is just a NAS, then I can't see the speed of the system drive is
14 > an issue *at all*.
15
16 They're actually workstations so I don't think I should neglect the
17 performance aspect. Should this scheme keep the system running if the
18 HD fails?
19
20 / SSD
21 /boot SSD
22 /home HD
23 swap HD
24
25 > Stroller.
28 > EDIT: I just checked & a 32gig SATA SSD is £75 including VAT here. The
29 > headline price is £66, and if it wasn't for the sales tax I'd just about
30 > consider that much for the convenience. An 8gig CF card is £8, and that's
31 > perfectly ample space for a headless server. FWIW I went for hardware RAID -
32 > secondhand 3ware 9500S - & conventional SATA hard-drives.
33
34 How much is the CF adapter? That would narrow the gap, although maybe
35 not considering a 2.5" -> 3.5" adapter.
36
37 Yeah, it looks like ~$80 for a 16GB Super Talent drive. This one for
38 ~$120 is 32GB and is said to have no stuttering (apparently because of
39 its internal Indilinx controller):
40
41 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609392
42
43 Anyway, the point of all this is to prevent an HD failure from
44 stopping the system. An SSD is much safer, right?
45
46 - Grant