From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from old udev to eudev
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 23:44:18
1 On 02/08/13 02:27, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 02/08/13 00:28, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> Hi all,
4 >>
5 >> Ok, rehashing this, but please don't turn it into another udev vs
6 >> systemd thread.
7 >>
8 >> I have an older server that I have been putting off this update,
9 >> debating on whether to update to the regular udev, or to eudev.
10 >>
11 >> I've googled until my fingers are blue, but cannot for the life of me
12 >> find any explicit instructions for *how* to switch from udev to eudev.
13 >>
14 >> The eudev project page is sparse, to say the least.
15 >>
16 >> Anyone?
19 > Something like
20 >
21 > olympus ~ # cat /etc/portage/package.mask
22 >> =sys-fs/udev-180
23 > ...
24 > olympus ~ #
25 >
26 > olympus ~ # grep udev /etc/portage/package.keywords
27 > sys-fs/eudev ~amd64
28 > =virtual/udev-206 ~amd64
29 > olympus ~ #
30 >
31 > unmerge everything udev && emerge eudev
32 >
33 > its been much less fuss and bother than trying to stick with the udev
34 > machinations - I have maybe 15 machines and vm's running eudev, no udev
35 > ... :)
36
37 nope, you just believed all the FUD there has been out there. i've said
38 it many times, and i'll say it again:
39
40 the only real different is USE="rule-generator" and that's it
41
42 and sys-fs/eudev is constantly out of date and haven't developed any
43 features of their own
44
45 so why follow with unreliable fork, when there is the official package
46 available with equal features?