From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 03:49:19
1 On 3/3/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Why is it a developer-only privilege? You just made that up.
3
4 To co-lead a Gentoo project? You need to be a dev to do that. I
5 couldn't join any projects even as a member until I became a dev, and
6 I created the distro. You are effectively co-leading (likely leading)
7 PMS as a non-dev - worse than that, as someone who has been explicitly
8 removed from a dev role.
9
10 > > Yet even those who are worthy of being called Gentoo developers don't
11 > > enjoy the privileges that you are currently enjoying.
12 >
13 > That's their own fault... You'll also note that I'm far from the only
14 > person who's chosen to take this route...
15
16 No, they are doing the right thing, and you are doing the wrong thing.
17
18 > Those things would be -core and, uh, nothing else... There's never been
19 > any requirement that people contributing to Gentoo be Gentoo developers.
20
21 Again, you're not just submitting a patch but architecting the
22 strategic direction for package manager interoperability which has
23 strategic implications for Gentoo, and is more than just a
24 user-submitted "contribution."
25
26 > You're also assuming that Gentoo is about fun -- nothing wrong with
27 > that, but having fun does not give you or anyone else the right to
28 > break the tree or screw up users' systems. Fun as a primary goal is
29 > extremely unprofessional and inappropriate for projects where the
30 > impact of breakages is so high.
31
32 I never said fun was the primary goal, just the first of many goals -
33 and is basic necessity for the long-term health of a volunteer-driven
34 free software project. If it's not pleasant, then no one has the will
35 to stick around and do the harder work that you speak of.
36
37 Regards,
38
39 Daniel