From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 22:08:47
Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.

As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent from
"...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional address.
Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the sourceforge system
to a personal address I specify.  When I send a message "From: " that
address, however, I cannot send it through the sourceforge system, as I
don't actually have an email account with them.  Currently, I send it
through my gmail account.  That works because I added that address in
my gmail Settings under "Accounts and Import" /  "Send mail as:".  To
set it up, gmail sends a message to that address, and I click on a link
in the message to prove it does come to me.  That's been working find
for a long time, but, ...

I'm trying to move away from gmail.  Especially for mailing lists like
this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.

I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
setup.  I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.

So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
understands this and will let me set it up.  I have my own domain, but
namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record
point to a different email provider.  At this point, I'm not interested
in running my own email server.  I currently only need two mailboxes,
maybe a small number more in the future, but this is personal, not
commercial.  I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to a dozen or so
recipients.  I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is at least some
consideration.  I don't need huge storage limits, as although I use
IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3 to download
everything.  I'd also like at least minimal control over spam
filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter
locally.  If privateemail.com has false positives for everything from
some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket with
them to add a whitelist.  No such thing as clicking on "Not spam" and
apparently no intent to ever do so.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jack