From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] OT: looking for email provider
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 22:08:47
1 Relying on the collective experience and advice of the group here.
2
3 As may be obvious to many of you, the address this message is sent from
4 "...@×××××××××××××××××.net" isn't really a fully functional address.
5 Email sent to that address will be forwarded by the sourceforge system
6 to a personal address I specify. When I send a message "From: " that
7 address, however, I cannot send it through the sourceforge system, as I
8 don't actually have an email account with them. Currently, I send it
9 through my gmail account. That works because I added that address in
10 my gmail Settings under "Accounts and Import" / "Send mail as:". To
11 set it up, gmail sends a message to that address, and I click on a link
12 in the message to prove it does come to me. That's been working find
13 for a long time, but, ...
14
15 I'm trying to move away from gmail. Especially for mailing lists like
16 this one, if I send a message to the list, I never see that I get the
17 message from the list, because gmail refuses to show it in my inbox
18 because it's a duplicate of a message already in my sentbox.
19
20 I do have an email account with privateemail.com (thorough
21 namecheap.com) but they are unable or unwilling to have a similar
22 setup. I'm not even sure they actually understand what I'm asking of
23 them, but I've wasted more than enough time trying.
24
25 So - I'm asking if anyone can recommend an email service provider that
26 understands this and will let me set it up. I have my own domain, but
27 namecheap.com does seem willing to have the appropriate DNS record
28 point to a different email provider. At this point, I'm not interested
29 in running my own email server. I currently only need two mailboxes,
30 maybe a small number more in the future, but this is personal, not
31 commercial. I don't need to do bulk emails, maybe up to a dozen or so
32 recipients. I do NOT expect it to be free, but cost is at least some
33 consideration. I don't need huge storage limits, as although I use
34 IMAP access when on the road, when I'm home, I use POP3 to download
35 everything. I'd also like at least minimal control over spam
36 filtering, mainly to let almost anything through for me to filter
37 locally. If privateemail.com has false positives for everything from
38 some sender (such as ups.com, for example) I need to open a ticket with
39 them to add a whitelist. No such thing as clicking on "Not spam" and
40 apparently no intent to ever do so.
41
42 Thanks for any suggestions.
43